I strive to make birthdays at our house a special time. The birthday child wakes up to a birthday sign, small treat and balloons hanging from the kitchen light in their honor.
They get to choose the menu and dessert for dinner. We’ve had everything from pizza to lobster, which we picked out -ALIVE- from the store, gave it a name, brought home -still alive- and then boiled. It was an experience to say the least 🙂
The birthday child gets to pick the full menu, from vegetable to dessert and everything in between. Bacon wrapped asparagus and bacon wrapped Brussels Sprouts are two items which frequently end up on the menu. Both of which I personally love to eat and cook because they are delicious, nutritious and very easy to make. Another bonus, the cooking time can be adapted if sharing the oven with another food.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- fresh aspapragus spears
- high quality bacon
- ground garlic
- ground pepper – if desired, I like corse ground
- Place a wire rack on a jelly roll pan. This will allow the grease to drain off the bacon and the bacon to crisp up.*
- Cut 1 – 3 inches (as needed) off of the woody end of the asparagus creating even length spears.
- Divide asparagus into bundles of 3 to 5 spears depending on thickness and amount of bacon you want to use.
- Then wrap each bundle tightly with bacon. Lay the bundles on the wire rack in the jelly roll pan, tucking the bacon end under so it doens’t unwrap.
- Season with garlic and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven for 30 minutes at 400* or until the bacon is crisp. Flip part way through roasting to crisp up the bottom side.*